CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 30, 2010

first day of school eve

Is it too late to discuss the day before the last day I blogged?  Nope, I didn't think so either.  And then, when there's time, perhaps I will tell you more about baseball, or a trip to chicago, or other fun things we'd like to remember for years to come.  But for now, "Heidi and the terrible, no good, very bad day."

The day before school starts, in my mind, is the last day of summer.  Right?  And the last day of summer, which happens to be the day before school starts, should be a big day, right?  ESPECIALLY when we're talking about the VERY first day of school EVER.  Seems to me, and this is just me, but it seems to me that the first day of school eve is a very big day.  A day a mom gets to wow her soon to be kindergartener one last time with her unbelievably unforgettable ability to have loooooots of fun.  School's fun, but staying home with mom was looooooooooots of fun.  yup.

MY plans for the day looked like this:
Children's Museum (picnic lunch)
Home for naps and for the a/c repair guy to do his thing
Quick shopping trip to pick up a new backpack for Libbers
fancy dinner, bubbly baths, early bedtime.

Not a bad day!  However my plans did not come to fruition.  Not one bit.  But I had great opportunities to reflect on my expectations, chat with my kids about the sovereignty of God, wipe my tears and remember that Libby's childhood is not shaped by the day before the first day of school, and be thankful anyway.  PLUS, I was greatly blessed by friends and family.  God was so kind to me.

Our real day went more like this:
Load into the van and find that it won't start.  (BIG disappointment.)
FINALLY it started.
Praise the Lord!
Plans change:  to go to mechanic after the children's museum.
Stop for gas.
Van won't start.  rats.  it's hot outside.
Van starts.
Praise the Lord.
Plans change:   go to mechanic first, home for a/c repair guy, THEN children's museum.
Take kids to grandma Anna's; she graciously babysits them so P can nap while I'm getting van fixed.
A new battery goes into the van and we're good as new.
RATS.  my money is in the diaper bag at Anna's.
We work it out.
I talk to Anna; we decide I will go backpack shopping now, and pick the kids up after the a/c guy is done.
I get to the store, 20 minutes away, RATS.  I still don't have my money.
I shop anyway, putting my choice on hold for later.
I go home, sit with a/c guy, busy myself while he (well, they) work.  They work for 4 hours.
I realize we do not have time to go the museum, which closes at 5.
I'm discouraged.
My hubby saves the day and suggests dinner at the Amazing Pizza Machine.
I prepare to leave.
I have someone at the door.
My sweet friend came by!
We chat, she encourages me.
My sweet friend comes by!  Another one!  She has a care package for me to help me survive the first day of school.  I cry.  I'm blessed.
I go to the garage, ready to go get my kids and take them for pizza and fun.
My van starts!
Praise the Lord!
I pick up my kids, take them to the Amazing Pizza Machine, find that somehow, my money was still NOT in my bag, but still at grandma's house.  Rats.
The kids and I sit and wait for 30 minutes until Brian arrives.  He didn't get out of work early.  Rats.
but THEN, then, then the fun did begin.

And real quick, I must point out that while the day was full of disappointment, it was also so full of encouragement. God is so good to provide for us, time and again, for our physical needs and spiritual.  Though the day did not look the way I wanted it to (perfect) it was a perfect day nonetheless; full of reminders of our dependence on our all knowing, unchanging God who cares deeply for us - and with great built in opportunities for me to discuss these things with my kids.  *love*

Romans 8:28 
And we know that for those who love God, 
all things work together for good, 
for those who are called according to his purpose.

Without further ado, here are some pics from our evening at the Pizza Machine.  A really fun place that we would love to visit again, when we have more time!

(there's a cartoon playing on the wall - the whole wall - behind me...)








No comments: